Sunday, July 8, 2007

Buenos Tardes Familia y Amigos

We've arrived! So after a series of hysteria fits and airport drama- we have safety arrived in Costa Rica.
Both flights were extremely smooth, albeit slightly cramped. However for the most part American Airlines came through.
We landed in San Jose at around 11am (Costa Rica time) about 1pm EST. Going through customs and immigration was a very simple process actually. I guess I expected it to be far more complicated.
After we went through all the security checks, we walked out the "door to the right" as we had been instructed and Alejandro Casto Suarez was waiting there with a sign just for us. Thank God he speaks perfect english. We then climbed into his Toyota Tundra and headed for Grecia (our home for the next two weeks). The drive from San Jose (where the airport is located) to Grecia was absolutely breathtaking. I can't even begin to describe how lush everything is here. We are situated in the central valley (completely surrounded by moutains and the 8 volcano's here! Alejandro assured us they will not be spewing lava so we need not worry.
We passed so many farms that produce sugar cane. Apparently we are currently 3000 ft. above sea level! so our ears were popping the entire time.
Some interesting things I noticed on our drive to Grecia- lots of soccer fields with MANY people playing. Also bizzarrely enough, many car dealerships and tire stores. The city of Grecia has some cute parks and this gorgeous old church that I look forward to visiting.
Right now Chris and I are siting the restaurant attached to the school waiting to take a placement test. Given the amount of valium I've consummed in the last few hours, I'm slightly nervous about my ability to score well. Also I ordered a coke and it comes in that old class bottle. I think it actually tastes better than american coke- but maybe thats just me being tired and thirsty.

So I think thats about it for now. Thank you for all of your well wishes and prayers. They worked.
This is so completely different than any other place I've ever seen, I can't even begin to find words yet, but its very exciting. I guess I sometimes forget or just don't realize how many people live in this world and in a world so different than anything that we all experience everyday- if that makes sense. We are all so wrapped up in our own lives and here thousands of miles away, are thousands of other people wrapped up in their own lives. I'm rambling but either way I look forward to sharing my travel tales. Please respons via email
victorialhertlein@gmail.com or I think you can write on the blog.

xoxo
Ciao!

No comments: