Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Martes- 10 Julio 2007

Buenos dias. Lo siento yo no escribo ayer perro yo tango un problema con el “wireless connection”.

Where do I even begin? Well today began with Spanish class again. I’ve decided I truly enjoy having an instructor all to myself. I think that I’m less nervous and more likely to say as many words as possible without fear of embarrassing myself in front of classmates. Also- typical me, I love the attention. Today Natalia and I spent an hour having a conversation about my job. I was actually able to explain what I do, the types of students I counsel etc. We spent about 15 minutes just discussing gangs and how to prevent gang violence and why boys in general join gangs- all in Spanish! Then we played “memory” with animal vocabulary flashcards. It was so much fun. Finally Natalia asked me to give her a situation I would encounter at work. So I said, “I have to call a mother to explain her daughter is in a dangerously abusive relationship”. We wrote out a 20-minute conversation. I can’t believe I’m learning so much.

This afternoon we had the first in the series of lectures or “conferencia”. Soo fascinating. We learned all about Costa Rica and its history, population and landscape as well as economy and politics. Then we had one of the best lectures I’ve ever attended on “improving social work with Latinos”. For example, I had no idea that the term “client” is actually offensive and we should say “usuario” because client is used for people shopping in stores (some type of monetary exchange). We learned all about how women are treated, machismo culture and also stereotypes of Latinos. It was so incredibly helpful for the work I do at the high school.

So during the break at the conference we were all sitting on the veranda and suddenly there were two extremely loud bangs. The two students from central LA and I all sort of cringed/ducked as “gunshots” were the first thing that went through our minds! Apparently however, when people have big parties in Grecia, they shoot off what I understand to be like a canon. Then when the party is over, they shoot two more. Really interesting.

Perhaps what stuck with me most today was the lesson about the Costa Rican philosophy of “Pura Vida” which is sort of this “no worries” attitude. In general people tend to be quiet laid back. Costa Rica actually does not have an army or any type of military. In 1948 when it was abolished the ticos leader (Costa Rican’s call themselves- ticos) Jose Figueres Ferer said “Costa Rica tiene un ejecito de maestro” which translates as “Costa Rica has an army of teachers”. All the money they would use toward a military goes to education- which might explain why Costa Rica has a 96% literacy rate!

Anyway…so after lectures this afternoon, I think I had my first “oh my God I’m living I a foreign country, I’m not going home to my own bed, I miss America and my family moment”. Chris was wonderful and we went for a walk and he took me back to his host family who are the nicest people. They are absolutely hilarious. Very much more wild and westernized than my host family. The mom- Marta- I’d say is pretty much constantly drunk, but in a way that she is still able to care for her family in the best way. I’m also convinced she has a crush on Chris. Anyway- she and her husband, Geraldo love “la musica ochentas” 80’s music. So I had dinner with them tonight while listening to U2, Bruce Springsteen and Marta’s favorite –Shania Twain. It was great! I felt a lot more relaxed and then they called me a cab to head back to my family.

As some of you know I’m sure- the CopaAmericana is underway. Tonight’s game of Brazil vs. Uruguay was on when I got back. Rocio, Luis and Stephanie were watching. Feeling a bit more confidant in my Spanish and with the group, I sat and watched the game with them. Stephanie and I discovered we both love the Italian soccer team because the men are the best looking! The game was incredibly exciting as it went into double penalty shot overtime- (I’m sure there is some technical term for that but you know what I mean).

Wednesday we are going to some famous waterfall gardens after class. Apparently there will be monkeys and lots of frogs – mom aren’t you jealous- your favorites!!

I really love reading your comments and hearing from you all. I don’t feel so far away then. Mucho amor de Costa Rica!!

Ciao

4 comments:

Peter Gariepy said...

Vicki you should write an article on Chris'host mother, advocating the practice of drunk mothering.

Watch out for monkey bites

Peter Gariepy said...

Vicki you should write an article on Chris' host mother, advocating the practice of drunk mothering.

Watch out for monkey bites

Unknown said...

Um wow I'm really jealous, I just spent my morning updating the records of dead priests- can you bring me home a monkey?

Jo Ann said...

Vicki, I was glad to hear you were Ok after not hearing from you for a day, and impressed to see how much Spanish you've learned so far...it's mucho bene!! (I'm not sure what language that is?) Anywhow, please do not bring me any of those cucaroches home in your luggage, Marji may enjoy them, but I certainly would NOT. I'd be looking for a hotel by now if I saw any of those bugs.
Hope Chris is having as exciting time as you are. We've been hearing there are some Hollywood Celebs there in Costa Rica and one of them just got engaged on the beach there..I'll have to find out who it was.
Can't wait to see some pictures.
It's sweltering hot here, especially because of the high humidity,it is suppose to break tonight; how has the weather been there, does it storm everyday in the rain forest?
Careful crossing the streets and please give warm regards to your host family from me, for being so kind for taking such good care of you. Miss Ya...Love, Mom
P.S. I want a monkey too!