
So exactly 24 hours from now I’ll be boarding an airplane to head back to the United States. The general feeling- Thank God, but also “ahhh airplane ride again!”. It is difficult to believe that two full weeks have passed already. I had many moments where I said “this is the most amazing experience” and other times where I said “ I don’t think I can do this anymore”. And somewhere in the middle of all of that I learned to speak Spanish.
I am truly grateful for this opportunity and let me first say that the Spanish instruction I received was incredible. This morning I played scrabble in Spanish and actually won. In two weeks, I am able to have conversations, get by in social situations, with cab drivers, merchants and my host family. Is my grammar perfect? Certainly not, however this type of immersion is truly the best way to learn. I also have truly benefited from the “social work” portion of this program. The conferences and discussions about social work the latino community is one of the most valuable professional assets I could have ever asked for.
As for the remainder of the trip, living in a completely different culture and part of the world has proved both extremely rewarding and extremely humbling in how it has made me appreciate my life in the US. Simple things that we take for granted – driving on roads you recognize, watching the news in your home language- I think that this experience will in the future allow me to empathize with immigrants in a whole new way. I will never fully understand, but I get how scary and uncomfortable it can be living in a place so different than all that you’ve ever known.
The rainforests, beaches and volcano’s were certainly interesting, however it is some of the people that I met here that will leave lasting impressions. The local venders, tour guides, taxi drivers and of course our host families, illustrated to me that no matter where we live, what we do, what foods we eat, I think deep down we all look for the same things in life- comfort, love and purpose or fulfillment.
I look forward to traveling again in the future (with heavy drugs for the plane) and with those close to me. I think what I learned most on this trip- honestly, is that new places and experiences aren’t nearly as exciting as when you have someone to share them with, whether it be with good friends or family members. I want to see the world, just not alone.
So I leave here, hopefully without bugs in my suitcase, and filled with many interesting and amazing memories, the knowledge that I can travel and live in a different country for a period of time (hey two weeks is big for a girl who never got to have sleepovers), greater understanding of the cultures I work with, decent language skills and finally rejuvenated spirit to work towards creating a better and most socially just world.
Thank you all for your support, your messages, your love, your emails and other comments. I am soo grateful for all of you in my life. You are what I have missed- not America as much as my friends, my family and even, yes, my job. You are not replacable or easy to leave. My life is truly blessed. I’ll see you all very soon.
Pura Vida! Ciao from Costa Rica
I am truly grateful for this opportunity and let me first say that the Spanish instruction I received was incredible. This morning I played scrabble in Spanish and actually won. In two weeks, I am able to have conversations, get by in social situations, with cab drivers, merchants and my host family. Is my grammar perfect? Certainly not, however this type of immersion is truly the best way to learn. I also have truly benefited from the “social work” portion of this program. The conferences and discussions about social work the latino community is one of the most valuable professional assets I could have ever asked for.
As for the remainder of the trip, living in a completely different culture and part of the world has proved both extremely rewarding and extremely humbling in how it has made me appreciate my life in the US. Simple things that we take for granted – driving on roads you recognize, watching the news in your home language- I think that this experience will in the future allow me to empathize with immigrants in a whole new way. I will never fully understand, but I get how scary and uncomfortable it can be living in a place so different than all that you’ve ever known.
The rainforests, beaches and volcano’s were certainly interesting, however it is some of the people that I met here that will leave lasting impressions. The local venders, tour guides, taxi drivers and of course our host families, illustrated to me that no matter where we live, what we do, what foods we eat, I think deep down we all look for the same things in life- comfort, love and purpose or fulfillment.
I look forward to traveling again in the future (with heavy drugs for the plane) and with those close to me. I think what I learned most on this trip- honestly, is that new places and experiences aren’t nearly as exciting as when you have someone to share them with, whether it be with good friends or family members. I want to see the world, just not alone.
So I leave here, hopefully without bugs in my suitcase, and filled with many interesting and amazing memories, the knowledge that I can travel and live in a different country for a period of time (hey two weeks is big for a girl who never got to have sleepovers), greater understanding of the cultures I work with, decent language skills and finally rejuvenated spirit to work towards creating a better and most socially just world.
Thank you all for your support, your messages, your love, your emails and other comments. I am soo grateful for all of you in my life. You are what I have missed- not America as much as my friends, my family and even, yes, my job. You are not replacable or easy to leave. My life is truly blessed. I’ll see you all very soon.
Pura Vida! Ciao from Costa Rica
4 comments:
Victoria:
You are a great travel partner! Thanks sooooooooo much for putting up with me for two weeks, we all know that it is a GREAT accomplishment! You rock!
Vicki,
Enjoy your final moments of this whirlwind adventure! Please give my warmest and sincerest regards to your language instructors, guides, and of course your host family for all that they've done to make these experiences so unforgetable for you.
Adios Costa Rica!!
Look forward to seeing you Saturday (that's tomorrow) in the New York! (Sans les cucaroches) Love, Mom
Vicki!, I'm so happy that you enjoyed your time in Costa Rica (I am very jealous) It made me miss traveling, even though I just came home. Thanks blogging and giving us the scoop. It's nice being able to stalk someone with their permission. It's wonderful that you were so immmersed in the culture and picked up the language fast..I hope I can see more of you once you're back in NYC!!
safe travels, my little saving grace
Love, Emilee
did you bring the spider from your bed back?
Post a Comment