So the last two days have been filled with some interesting cultural experiences:
Por ejemplo:
It is strangely common here for a set of sisters to date a set of brothers. For instance, my host mom’s sister Noria, who lives next door is married to Carlos who is the brother of my host dad. Deborah and I tried that once- disaster. But apparently it works well in Costa Rica
During commercial breaks on television here they list the deaths of local people, sort of a televised obituary. Not all at once either, like each commercial break it’s a new person, they play this sad music too. It just shows how community oriented this town/city is.
You can’t hail a cab in Grecia. You can only call for one. I learned that the hard way.
At the pharmacy all of the products (shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste etc. are behind the counter and you have to pay before you are allowed to have the product. Apparently its because many of these are imported and expensive so people would steal too easily.
Grey’s Anatomy is just as popular here as it is in America. Although Patrick Dempsey is sexy in any language, it’s rather comical to expect to hear his voice and listen to the dubbed Spanish version. My host family is really into that show. We watched it and CSI-Las Vegas tonight together.
Yesterday we visited the city of Sarchi (about 15 min) from here. I met the most adorable older couple who owned a pottery shop. The older man, Ulysses sits in the back and makes copies of indigenous Costa Rican statue/whistles and clay pots. Its one of the few places in Costa Rica that you can find ties to indigenous culture. Amazing experience just to talk with him.
Yesterday we had Latin dancing lessons with Jorge- hilarious. My favorite line “Salsa when done correctly is just like sex with your clothes on”- Barbara.
This afternoon we had another lecture with one of the most remarkable and brilliant men I’ve ever met. He is a professor from the University of Costa Rica School of Social Work and he gave a presentation on Social Work in Latin America. His theories, his experience and his solutions for the future were simply amazing.
For me the lecture was far more personal as I was reminded of why I chose this profession in the first place. I think he and I just intellectually connected as at the beginning of the lecture we had to say why we became social workers (in Spanish) so in my half Spanish/half French/part English way I said :” because I believe that one person can be the impetus for many to begin to change- one can inspire many”- this is based on the Buddhist philosophy that from one flame thousands of candles can be lit. And then I said that social workers empower others to help themselves- I don’t believe that we help people. Everyone else basically said “I want to help kids or women or something to that effect”. Anyway he is all about social movements and social justice. It was just amazing. So its coffee break and he says “Victoria, I really like your thinking” So I tell him about our group Yonkers Democrats in Action which he was very impressed by and thought we did some great work. I then asked him his opinion of CAFTA (The Central American Free Trade Agreement), which Costa Ricans will vote on soon. Anyway we had coffee together (well with the translator) he was like “please sit I will tell you more” and he just shared all of this fascinating information with me about why CAFTA will essentially destroy the health care system and economy of Costa Rica. Then we talked about theories of preventing violence and differences between American social work school and Latin American social work school. Just amazing. I feel like it was this shot of figurative social work adrenaline that I lost since I’ve left school- reminding me how important social activism is and that social workers have to speak out and promote real social change. I was quite inspired. Before he left I thanked him and he gave me perhaps one of the nicest compliments of my career. It was truly a moving experience.
Okay I’m pretty sure that someone just tried to break into the house- I heard a loud smash I have no idea what that was- great.
I have much more to say about all of this but as per usual I’m exhausted. Please comment or write back . Let me know what’s going on in your worlds. I miss you all so much. Looking forward to coming home.
Xoxo
Wednesday, July 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
VH- GREAT blog! Thanks for the daily updates.
Sounds like a great trip.
-Michelle & Stevie
Hi Vicki,
Love your blog and all the wonderful desriptions. Your really bring the country and your experiences to life. My son's description of Costa Rica pales in comparison. He writes "the kids are hip and i'm having agreat time". Miss you and looking forward to seeing you.
Sharon
OLA Vicki...
Did you get me the clay pot I wanted from that old man????
Hope you discovered the intruder or was it that humongous spider trying to get your attention again?
Love,
Su Madre
So I've been reading your blog and I'm not going to lie, it was pretty boring what with all the rain forest adventures and nightclub exploits, but today we finally get some action with the discussion of the effects of CAFTA on the Costa Rican economy!
I'm glad to hear you're having an awesome time and I can't wait to hear more when you get back.
P.S. I am very angry you did not do the zip line.
So what was the compliment? I agree with Jim that CAFTA is a fascinating subject.
Post a Comment